Monday, August 24

Dare to be Divergent


You don’t get better without criticism. As a writer, I need honest feedback about my work to make my writing better. 
I learned that in college. One of my professors kept pushing me to write more honestly, and the voice of Tris (the heroine of Roth’s blockbuster Divergent trilogy) really developed as a reaction to that. 
I still work with critique partners, and that’s only valuable if you don’t get defensive. 
Part of being a professional is about getting over it, meaning you have to separate yourself from your work and realize that if someone is criticizing your writing, they’re not criticizing you. 
I am bigger, more complicated person than any book. 
Every human being is a crazy festival of thoughts. 
You have to have a life outside your work. 
[Veronica Roth, author of the Divergent series] 

No comments:

Post a Comment