Q: I'm going through my closet to get rid of the clutter. What is your advice on the pieces worth keeping versus those I should part with?
A: I suggest separating your wardrobe into four categories:
- Soul Stirrers = Items you love
- Basics (tees, camisoles, rudimentary staples you wear regularly)
- Pieces you rarely or never wear that are in good shape
- Items that are in some state of disrepair
The rare or never worn items? Give them away.
As for the essential pieces you should always have in your closet:
- Classic white button-down
- Versatile blazer
- Dark-wash jean
- Trench coat
- Figure-flattering, day-to-night dress